Thursday, March 22, 2018

3/22- I Don't Dream of Genny- Epic Fail

Good Thursday all-

I want to say, on behalf of all the meteorologists in Connecticut, sorry! This was an unusually difficult storm to forecast because of the presence of dry air. What happened yesterday was that the dry air line, which was forecasted by most models to be in Hartford, ended up in New Haven. The end result is that Long Island got the snow we were expecting, whilst we got the dreaded dry area and about half of my advertised minimum snowfall.

This is something that will teach me a lesson, as all busts are. This one, however, is more notable in the sense that it was a high impact forecast that occurred during the middle of the week and the school closures and early dismissals we had yesterday wound up being wholly unnecessary. That is something that we're always trying to improve on, and even if we don't get another chance to do it this winter, we'll be talking about heavy snow potential again in just eight short months- and more experience will be in the books for us.

One last note- I have seen many AWFUL posts directed towards our local TV meteorologists insulting them ruthlessly. I beg you- please refrain from doing that. We all do what we can, and I hope that people realize this is a much more difficult job than they think it is.

All the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment