Thursday, May 22, 2014

5/22- Yucky day today...

Good Thursday all!

Today is going to be rather yucky...sorry! In fact, I expect rain for a good majority of the day today. Will it be pouring the whole time? No...but it will likely be raining on and off all day- but it will be pouring when it does rain! Do not plan any outdoor activities today- they will likely be cancelled! My mother's school has a field trip to the Rock Cats today...and that will be interesting to say the least! Certainly rain delays will occur, and I doubt greatly they will get the entire game in today, since if it does end, it probably would be after the school day. For those going, prepare to be soaked! Everyone else, be ready for more of the same tomorrow, then thunderstorms Saturday, and Sunday, and Tuesday...etc.

In the Pacific- The system we were watching yesterday southwest of Manzanillo, Mexico is showing signs of development and there is a 40% chance of development by Monday.

Today in weather history- May 22, 1937-today- Amazingly, no rain has ever fallen in Las Vegas on this date since records began in 1937. There is one other major weather event today is the anniversary of though


May 22, 2011- The deadliest tornado since 1950 hits Joplin, Missouri. The EF5 tornado destroys the entire south side of the major city, demolishing a school and hospital while killing 154 people. If you have seen me around wearing my 'restore Joplin' shirts (which you will today), I got them in Joplin in 2012, eight months after this tornado. It was a real shock to see the devastation that occurred, and this is one of the major events that has made me want to pursue meteorology. I am telling you, I remember watching the news coverage of this, and I can't believe it has been 3 years!

No comments:

Post a Comment