Friday, February 10, 2017

2/10- Looking back on a Blizzard, All eyes on Sunday/Monday

Happy FRIDAY everyone!

What. A. Storm. That's all I can say. An absolutely historic and memorable day for sure yesterday as most people in CT got roughly 1.5 feet of snow, experienced blizzard conditions, and extremely frequent thunder and lightning. I am truly speechless. That was so much worse than I anticipated as late as Wednesday night...and that is one that I will always remember. At my house in Naugatuck, I picked up 17" of snow in 9 hours, give or take a little. That means that for the duration of the storm I averaged 2"/hr snowfall rates. Thanks for the memories, Blizzard Chris! The very fact that it was a blizzard is amazing as well. This is because this marks the 3rd year in a row with a blizzard in New England, the 4th overall in that timeframe...and the 5th in the last 5 years. That's really a remarkable streak, considering that in the time period between March 2005 and January 2013...there was a total of one. Think on that for a bit.

To add insult to injury, the fun has just begun. A winter storm is likely tonight into tomorrow, and I think I shall go with 2-4" of snow, which is just what we need...not! as a clipper system moves into our region. It should be mostly gone by tomorrow morning, but more shoveling will be necessary.

The bigger trouble comes Sunday and Monday. Ouch...and this one has the chance to be a blockbuster if everything comes together. Although not currently modeled, this storm has a very, very high ceiling and looks right now to be rather gusty as well. Boston has a very realistic chance on Monday of having their second blizzard in 5 days...and although relatively unlikely...I cannot rule out here in Connecticut either. For what it's worth though, computer models are currently suggesting five to ten inches of snow on Sunday night for areas along and north of I-84...and three to six inches south of there. This seems reasonable to me...and I will go with that. Note that the Euro has about a foot of snow north and about 5-10" for everyone sans the immediate shoreline with gusty winds and would likely be very near blizzard conditions. The next name on the list is Diana...and I think it may very well be on the way. At this time, I would put the risk of a modest 4-8" snowstorm at around 60%, with about a 20% chance of less due to a warmer track and thus more rain, and a 20% chance of a storm either equally as big or bigger than Blizzard Chris as the storm phases earlier and crawls to the northeast, causing a day long nightmare storm scenario. The GFS, currently, has a storm of Chris's intensity and bombing out about two degrees of longitude too far to the east...after passing directly over the benchmark. That's about 100 miles, and in the meteorology world...that's nothing at all

Remarkably, another storm threat exists in the middle to end of next week, but that's way too far out for details.

All in all, please shovel today- if you don't, you will only accomplish having several more inches to shovel tomorrow. I know you don't want to, but most schools in Connecticut are closed again today, so at least you have the time...and you don't want to have another foot or more to shovel out from fall on top of this over the next three days...a situation which I deem to be fairly likely!


No comments:

Post a Comment