Saturday, December 17, 2016

A Snow Surprise- Goodbye to Albie

Well, I expected snow but...I cannot say I expected to be posting about....




So...well...yeah. Essentially, what happened here is a combination of things that prevented the snow from changing to rain until the very end of the storm- I don't think I lost any accumulation at all in Naugatuck. To my shock, I somehow ended up receiving 7" of snow...and well...so did most others. A very small secondary low developed off of Long Island, which allowed, not only the warm front to stay south...but allowed enough of a wind shift to the northeast that the cold air was allowed to remain throughout the morning. The end result was essentially a 5-8" snowfall (congrats to Winsted on 9", which appears to be the jackpot) across pretty much the entire state...and the first named storm of the 2016-17 winter. This comes over a month earlier than the first named storm last year (Jan. 29th's Blizzard Ana). Additionally...Albie is the first named storm to occur during the month of December since 2013's Winter Storm Ashford...that's quite a while as we can have a rather snowy finish to the year sometimes!

In any event, I hope you enjoyed it...because this means that, because we now have a deep snowpack instead of a medium snowpack...it won't all melt tomorrow...and you'll need to shovel it. Sorry!

The next name on the list is Breanna, and I am watching Thursday to see if we could find her there as there is a threat of a nor'easter on that day.


^^^ This is unlikely for now, but the 12z CMC is shown here indicating 10-15" of snow for Thursday night and Friday across northern areas. Ouch.

No comments:

Post a Comment