Saturday, February 8, 2014

Welcome & First update

Hello everyone! Recently, people have been hammering me for weather updates, so I figure this is a great way to get my thoughts on the upcoming weeks storms and other noteworthy weather events. I'll update my blog probably once daily, with interesting weather tidbits about the day and any other upcoming storms to track. I may update more frequently as needed if significant storms are in the forecast or any major changes in my thinking occurs I will post all weather alerts issued by NOAA for Hartford, Tolland, New Haven, and Middlesex counties and provide snowfall accumulations for those areas as well.


Image credit www.new-england-vacations-guide.com

About me: I am 18 years old and have been a "weather geek" for the last nine years, and I intend to persue meteorology professionally once I graduate from High School. I caught the bug in 2005 after the record-breaking hurricane season that left so many shaking their heads...ironically, I had asked my mother what would happen if the name list was exhausted earlier that year- her reply was "That would never happen"...and go figure it did. My forecasts have gained notoriety at my school and I figured this is a good way to keep people informed regularly!

Image source: www.co.wilkin.mn.us

I'll start with my Saturday, February 8, 2014 post

Today- Sunny but quite chilly (Highs in the 20s)
Sunday- Increasing cloudiness in the afternoon. very close to the freezing mark
Noteworthy event #1- Sunday night into Monday morning- The much hyped storm through the week does not come together as once feared, but the northern of the two storms tries to develop rapidly off the SNE coast. A 2-4" snowfall is likely at this time, and these amounts could increase throughout the day today and tomorrow. School closing chance is 50-50 at this time
Monday- Snow ends early, Highs in the high 20's or low 30's
Tuesday- Partly cloudy and cold
Wednesday- Increasing clouds, Highs near freezing
Thursday/Friday- Significant event #2- A large storm of some kind is possible during this time frame. As it is a coastal storm, we are way to far off for any specifics. This is one of those storms that has the potential to bury CT in snow, miss entirely, or give us flooding rains at roughly equal likelihood for now, although the odds of a total miss are not high at this time

Days with at least a 33% chance of being a snow day this week appear to be: Monday (50-50), Thursday (50-50), and Friday (40%)

Today's weather history: 2013- Blizzard Charlotte slams Connecticut with a statewide average of over two feet of snow, and Hamden, CT recieves 40" of snow, the most in any one storm since the legendary Great Blizzard of 1888.


Image credit- wxedge.com



No comments:

Post a Comment