Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Well, that was interesting!

Well, most of the forecast area yesterday did fall solidly into the 4-8" snowfall that I got but there were many areas on the lower end. The highest amount was in a single, narrow line that included New Haven, North Haven, Wallingford, and Meriden, which received over a half foot of snow yesterday after getting trapped in the heaviest band for several hours (I measured 7" in my yard in Wallingford and snowfall rates at around 3"/hr). Other than this jackpot area, the statewide average was around 3 inches. Overall, though, I am satisfied with my forecast as I was higher than most news stations yet I was pretty darned accurate (NBC was nothing to 2"- oops!). Either way, believe it or not, more wintry mixed precip is likely through the day today in association with a warm front that is going to finally give temps a big boost up to near 50 degrees tomorrow and Friday, before a cool down Sat to near-normal temps. The next chance of a major snowstorm appears to be the middle of next week, with several opportunities thereafter as well. Enjoy your Wednesday!

Today in weather history- February 19, 1871- The first official weather forecast is issued by Cleveland Abbe of the signal corps service. He issues warnings for the great lakes region, including boating alerts

No comments:

Post a Comment