Sunday, March 23, 2014

3/23- A nor'easter is brewing, how will it impact CT?

Good Morning all and Happy Sunday!

The main story of today is of course the nor'easter that threatens midweek. I went to bed last night thinking "I really need a significant northwest movement in the models to keep hopes of a direct hit alive"...and I see that trend this morning. In fact, the ECMWF now brings blizzard conditions to Boston for the 1st time in any computer model run thus far, and has as much as one foot in New London. This is a solid 75 miles northwest of where it was last night...and keeps hope alive for a direct hit for now. I need to see this trend occur again at noon today though to keep my position. Given the models having slowed western movement down, I think the odds now favor a glancing blow from this thing (Though it could be as much as 4-8" from it, especially east of I-91). That said, I am not ready to issue a forecast simply because of the massive trend westward on the Euro, and there remains a 40% chance that I'll have to as much as quadruple those amounts, so stay tuned indeed. I'll update again later tonight. On the positive note, the weather appears to moderate after this with temps in the 60s again next weekend!

Stay tuned to may blog for the nor'easter potential...I shall update around 5 PM tonight give or take an hour unless I see something big change in the noon model runs, the first of which comes out at 11:30.

Today in weather history- March 23, 1899- A huge storm drops 141" of snow in Ruby, Colorado in a week, establishing the state record for the biggest snowstorm.

No comments:

Post a Comment